Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Stashbusting Report

Ok, so I am several weeks behind.  Honestly, I have not fallen off the band wagon.  Just been super busy.  I have been to Virginia and New York and am headed back to New York tomorrow.

Ok, so in the past few weeks I purchased 31/3 yards of fabric.  Mostly it was for the Bear in Farm House project I am working on.  I needed a bit more in the light gold department and did purchase the dark green batik to use for the border.  The picture of my progress so far is in the post below.

Other than that...I have used up not as much as I would have liked, but some is better than

I made this neat potholder for a dear friend on the HGTV message board.  I over analyzed how to make it, so Ryan drew me a heart and I went from there.  It turned out really cute.  I can not wait to make some more for family and friends.

I did finish my Mini Quilt for the swap hosted by Holee (I will link her blog in a few).  We each had a partner and asked them their favorite colors, but it was pretty much up to us as to what we made.  I made this black and while flying geese mini for my partner, Ali.  I knew she really liked black and whites and I love to make flying geese.  Each of these flying geese measure 1x2 inches!   I was surprised at how fun it was to make.  

Ali made me the prettiest mini that just screamed spring.  I love all of the romantic florals that she used, and accenting it with the birds.    She did such a great job of melding my taste of fabrics into her style of quilting.  Isn't that how quilting friendships should be?

Here are the results...

Fabric in this week: 3 1/3 yards
Fabric in YTD: 32 1/3 yards

Fabric used this week: 4 1/3  yards
Fabric used YTD: 31 yards

Net Fabric: +1 1/3 yards

Bears in Farm House Step 4

Here is my Bear's in the Farm House step 4.

I love how this quilt is coming along and I hope that Daniele and Luke love it too!

I am quickly becoming attached to it.  Most of the fabrics I collected on Ryan and I's vacation to Oregon in the summer of 2006.  We went to several wineries and were even able to see the Sister's Quilt Show.  It was a great trip full of many wonderful memories.

The next step should be the conclusion and I hope to get that finished soon as well.  Only 3 more borders left.  Judy wasn't kidding when she said that she loves borders.  

Friday, March 6, 2009

Bears In Farmhouse Step 3

For Step 3 of Judy L's Bear's in the Farmhouse quilt along we had to use the 192 half square triangles and form 12 blocks.  I finished by 12 blocks tonight.  I did have to purchase a about 1/4 yard total of the light gold to have enough, but the rest was from all from stash.

I hope that Daniele loves her Bear Paw Quilt!

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Stashbusting Weeks 8 and 9

This is a two week report because last weekend I went down to my inlaws house in Virginia. Ryan and Sophie left the day before and I went down the next day. I missed them terribly and must have been missing them too much because I cut part of the block in an entire queen size quilt wrong! I was starting to sew the blocks together and I noticed that the particular unit was a half an inch too small! I was besided my self, as the quilt was a kit that my Mom got for me out of the Quilt Shop Sampler Magazine from 2006! Three years ago, and there was no way that I was going to be able to replicate those fabrics. Put the project away for the night and thankfully came up with a creative way to piece the unit so it is not so noticable. I finished 8 blocks so far...
It is a fat quarter quilt that will ultimatly bust 34 fat quarters and 3 yards of borders. I have all of the "b" strips sewn together and hope to get the top completed by next week.

I did get the middle of the leader and ender project completly put together. I had no yardage of anything that went with the quilt to finish it off so I did buy 2 yards of a beautiful brown Thimbleberries print to use as an inner and thicker outer border. I still have to piece a middle border. I will pick up this leader and ender project when I won't get it confused with my current project! I did use a fat quarters worth of fabric to finish up the middle.

Last week I did make a trip out to see my dear friend Doreen while she was working at Crisitina's Quilt Shoppe where I used to work as well. We spent about an hour catching up and I was pretty bad in that I bought 3 yards of Moda Black fabric and two half yard pieces of beautiful orientals to go with my Michelle Obama prayer quilt. My mom is so good hers is already pieced! While I was there though I fell in love with an Alexander Henry print for a One Block wonder print. I was good though and did not buy any....a week later, 4.5 yards arrived at my house. Doreen did not want the fabric to sell out. I did buy her two yards of the Bernina Batik, and need to get that in the mail to her.

I did finish the 192 half square triangles all from stash (1.25 yards!) and did use a quarter of a yard to make fabric labels.


Fabric in this week: 10.5 yards (eek!)
Fabric in YTD: 29 yards

Fabric used this week: 2 yards
Fabric used YTD: 26.67 yards

Net Fabric: +2.34 yards